Thursday, January 1, 2009

Day 3: Dreams And Riches (On Loan From Others)

My friends, I am not a rich man. After all this time being shot at in the Eve universe, I still consider 50 million Isk to be a large sum of money. This is due to a number of things, namely my ability to fly any ship, and have it immediately destroyed, either in a failed yarring attempt, or by alt-tabbing out of missions because I absolutely must watch the Eve Badger video when I'm bored.
Which then gets stuck in my head all day.

Badger badger badger badger badger badgNO, NOT AGAIN DAMNIT.

I'll be right back.

...
...

Okay, I feel better now.

What was I talking about? Oh, yes, my penchant for utterly failing with whatever ship I strap myself in to.

I can blame only myself, really. I am a relatively indecisive person, and it doesn't change when I'm on Eve. I have my skills spread out covering damn near everything. Jack of all trades, master of none. I can use lasers, hybrids, missiles, projectiles, every kind of T1 ship from every race...I just can't use them well, it seems. In fact, my highest skill is in Drones, which I curse every time I step into my hate-it-because-it's-ugly-but-love-it-because-it's-strong-as-hell Dominix.

I recently spent 78 million Isk on a Hulk, and I've yet to make up the amount of money I spent insuring it and fitting it. It sits in one of the many hangars I've neglected, waiting to be used again. Sadly for the Hulk, I got tired of mining after 4 months of staring at strip miners. Maybe I'll come back it one day.
Maybe. Or I could just sell it.

ANYWAY, the point of my self-pity and wallowing in sorrow to the tune of Linkin Park is this: I'm broke. Dead freakin' broke, nearly all the time. At the time I headed out to the next place to visit on my tour, I had precisely 1.8 million isk in my virtual wallet.

Thus, I took a break from my tour for a few hours and did my first Level 4 mission in my trusty Domi. The mission was fine, and I tanked all the damage, but it took 8 minutes per Battleship to pop the damn rats' tanks. That's with large Hybrid turrets, t1 heavy drones, Sentries, and tons of points in both Drones and Hybrid operation, including tracking and all that. I made a nice profit from the bounties and salvage (about 8 million), but I dread another level 4 mission, if only because the thought of spending 20 minutes trying to kill a pair of Ravens makes me want to slam my face into the nearest hard object until I don't feel the pain of mostly AFK combat.

How does this relate to my journey through the Eve universe (or galaxy, rather)? Because I fully expect to lose a ton of ships and clones (I'm hesitant to lose my +3 and +4 implants, thus I seriously considered mission grinding until I get 8.0), especially once I traverse into Goon and BoB territory. Or the Red Alliance. I won't even be able to beg for my life with the Russkies!

This, of course, costs money. Money which I do not have. But this is not a call for Isk, and I'm not begging for hand-outs, so don't think of it that way. I fully intend to make money on my own...and if someone happens to donate something, then I'm very flattered. After all, I'm just a guy who wants to entertain a few people if possible, not get rich. Let me make it very clear I'm not asking for hand outs, nor do I expect them. But sometimes, the generosity of people amazes me.

As was the case with someone who I shall keep anonymous. You can imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning and logged on, only to see the sum of 10 million isk deposited in my account by a very generous capsuleer, with an accompanying message of "Please don't yarr me :3"

My first though twas "HOLY SHIT, A LION! GET IN THE CAR!", but then I realized I wasn't on 4chan and settled down.

If the person who did such a kind thing is reading this, thank you, my friend. I promise I won't yarr you, and I'll try not to lose every ship I fit with the money you donated O_o

No comments:

Post a Comment